Friday, September 14, 2012

July 26, 2012

I do keep up with some people I've met. We call referrals and try to help non-members accept missionaries to their home. If they don't get to that point, we'll see if we can follow-up and teach them over the phone and email. 
I am still in Carthage. I LOVE it! We get to greet for Pageant in Nauvoo 3 times a week. It is not as busy as I thought it would be. Send people to Nauvoo mom! :) jk.

Well, a cool experience. On one of my tours in Carthage Jail, I had quite a few kids. Sometimes it's hard to keep them entertained and calm, while still keeping the parents engaged. We were about to enter the Martyrdom room and I told the group that it is a very sacred, reverent room and to be aware of that. As soon as one of the young boys walked in, I could tell he could sense that. He folded his arms immediately. In a place where so much sacrifice was given, it becomes hallowed and holy ground. Just like where the Savior performed the Atonement. In Doctrine and Covenants 135 it says: "Joseph Smith, the Prophet and Seer of the Lord, has done more, save Jesus only, for the salvation of men in this world than any other man that ever lived in it." I know that is the truth because I feel it every day as I enter that room or walk the streets of Nauvoo. I love the Prophet Joseph Smith. I love that he translated the Book of Mormon. It is truth.
The same thing happens to us when we sacrifice things. We become more hallowed, holy and sanctified. It is an eternal principle of truth. So whatever you need to do to get to that point of holiness is worth it. And it is a process, not an event.

I've been following up with that girl I told you all about on the phone on Mother's Day. She emailed me a question. She said: "I'm just not sure God exists. How do you know that? How do you know there is a life after this one?" And it was difficult for me to really find an answer, because I have been raised, by goodly parents, who've taught me that I have a loving Father in Heaven my whole life. So it has never really been a question of whether he exists or not. It has been instilled within. I struggled explaining it to her but found a good solution by the help of the Spirit. I called her and over the phone we read Mosiah 4:9 "Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend". I asked her what she understood from that scripture. She gets it. I told her that Prayer is what brings you to the knowledge of God. That brings you closer to Him and He wants us to pray. It is a commandment, not a suggestion. She said she'd sincerely pray. I prayed and had faith that she did. 
So that is something that the world is missing, belief. And more than that: faith. Faith in God and His Son Jesus Christ as the Savior of the world.

I love you! Must be going. 

Sister Zibetti

No comments:

Post a Comment