Friday, September 14, 2012

August 14, 2012

So this week to prepare for the outbound, I got to go on splits with the sisters who serve in the city of Carthage. At first, I was very nervous to go in a home and teach a lesson, but I soon realized that missionary work is the exact same wherever you go. Just the setting is different.
 Instead of in the visitor's center, we were sitting in this woman's home and able to more fully teach because of the time allotted and the relationship we had with her. It was really wonderful. I used something in the lesson which I had read that morning for personal study. I love when that happens.

Also this week, we went tracting in Burlington Illinois! That was a great experience. Some people didn't want to hear anything, others wanted to listen. In the morning, Sister Cloward and I met a fellow and at first he was rough and defensive. Soon we got him talking and by the end, he was cracking jokes and laughing with us. We had the Spirit there most of the conversation. He doesn't have any hope in his life. He believes the law is so corrupt and doing good deeds is not worth anything. "You sow what you reap." We told him.
He was in the army for 19 years. So I thought he'd enjoy reading Alma 46, which is about the Title of Liberty and the amazing Captain Moroni. He has read the Book of Mormon before and says he's explored many religions. He still has a copy and committed to read it. So a fun experience.

Yesterday was my last day serving in Carthage Jail. :(. Sad day. Sister Brown said, "Wouldn't it be so great if a Deaf person came today needing interpreting on our last day here?" "Yes!!" And guess who came up the walk a couple hours later?! A SWEET Deaf couple. Some of their signs I could hardly understand, but Sister Brown and I were able to communicate. She and I switched off with interpreting and speaking for the tour in each of the different rooms of the Jail. It was really one of the most powerful tours I'd ever been a part of. The Spirit was so thick you could cut it with a knife. There is a tape we play in the Martyrdom room and as I interpreted it, Robert began to weep. The tears were so much that he couldn't hardly watch me sign. It was all very special.
We also had a Deaf family come to Carthage last Friday. The Lord truly had blessed us with using the language because we study so much, and because He has answered our prayer of sending Deaf people here.
The Carthage Sisters
I've been thinking a lot about rejection this week. With phone calls, tracting, and at other times, I get rejected as a missionary. And it is my responsibility, my calling, to represent the Savior. So I want to react to rejection in the way the Savior would. So I've studied this week a bit of what he did when he was rejected. 3 Nephi 12:10-12 "And blessed are ye when men shall revile you and persecute, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake; for ye shall have great joy and be exceedingly glad, for great shall be your reward in heaven; for so persecuted they the prophets who were before you." Then the next few verses down says "let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your father who is in heaven." That is one of the ways the Savior took rejection. Being that perfect example of truth and light always. I must never let him down, for has never let me down, nor you, nor anyone else. He is pleased to take that persecution for His Father. He will be satisfied. I love my Savior, brother and friend. His Atonement is what gets me through anything and everything.
By the way! I have a new companion!!!!! I LOVE her! It's Sister Dransfield! She is amazing and wonderful and has the best, most contagious laugh. Her first name is Chelsea, and often reminds me of Chelsea Larsen. All the sisters are back in Nauvoo to serve. The second summer sisters are all going home tomorrow (except for two who decided to stay a couple more weeks) and it is basically just the sisters who are here for their first summer who are still here. It is so weird that they are leaving. It feels surreal and sad. They are a part of me now and will be greatly missed, but it is their time to go. And that is according to God's will, and I must not tamper with that. The YPM's have also left. Crazy! Time to prepare for outbound, but still focus on the here and NOW of Nauvoo.

Sister Zibetti

1 comment: